Sunday, June 7, 2015

Windows 10 icon is not showing up - FIX



I have a HP envy and I always keep my laptop up to date with the latest updates. I got the reserve windows 10 icon on my custom built computer (running windows 10) but not on my laptop. I was curious as to why, not a lot of people are having this issue and I actually found one. This method is not officially created or endorsed by Microsoft but is created through a Microsoft community You may use this at your own risk, though I just did it and it worked perfectly! I will be showing you what I did. (As I am typing this I got an email from Microsoft saying that I reserved Windows 10 successfully!)

This is before the fix.


 Method 1:


Let's begin with the fix! (This is slightly long but hang in there!)

1. Go to this link here or copy and paste - https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u0au9xgy6ss18p/win10fix_full.zip?dl=0 (UPDATE - 6/7/2015 - I ran this through my antivirus and malware protection and nothing came up, I along with others have determined that it is safe.)

2. Save it and open the zipped folder, then extract it or drag it to the desktop. (That is it on the lower left side)


3. Right click it and click on "run as administrator". This should pop up.

Go ahead and press any key to get to the next screen.



Press any key to continue again.


 4. Let's make sure you have your computer up to date. Press 1 on the keyboard, then click enter. If your computer is up to date, you should see what's in this next image.



If you do not you need to check your computer for updates. For Windows 8.1 go to your search bar and type in updates, click on the one that says check for updates.

5.  Great! You are all up to date. Now lets get on with the process. Go back by pressing any key again to this screen.



Press 2 on the keyboard and then press enter. This will run the fix and now you should get this icon in your task bar. (I am not doing it because I already have.) 



6. Click on the icon and enter your email, you should receive an email shortly from Microsoft.  


Now that you have it and its not going away till Windows 10 releases, click here to read my article on how to hide it!

 NOTE:
If that doesn't work, please feel free to leave a comment or email me and I will get back to you ASAP!
You may not be eligible for the upgrade because any of the following :

  1. Your device isn’t up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update
  2. Windows Update is turned off or is not set to receive updates automatically
  3. You’ve blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.
  4. Your device is not running genuine Windows
  5. Your device is running Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, or Windows RT/RT 8.1, which are excluded from this reservation offer.
  6. Your device is managed as part of a school or business network. (Check with your IT administrator.)
  7. PCs that we determine cannot run Windows 10 will not see the Get Windows 10 app before July 29th.  After July 29th, we’ll enable the icon in the system tray.  This is to help ensure that you can easily check your PC’s compatibility if you choose.



 Method 2:

1. Open the Notepad
2. Copy the following text and paste into the notepad (Updated the script) -- ENGLISH VERSION --


REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx
if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
:CompatCheckRunning
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
Powershell -Command "Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName 'Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser' -TaskPath '\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\'" | Find "Ready"
if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning
:RunGWX
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

-- Non English Version --

REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx
if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
:CompatCheckRunning
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
Powershell -Command "Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName 'Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser' -TaskPath '\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\'" | Find "Ready"
if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning
:RunGWX
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

3. Save it as ‘ReserveWindows10.cmd’ to a directory called temp or whatever you like in C drive.

4. Run the file by opening command prompt as administrator

5. Once your PC is compatible, you’ll see success message at the end and a schedule task will start to open the app (check the screenshot below).

ADDED - 6/13/15

If the script failed try this: 
--  Change this - if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning

--  To this - if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "1" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning

This should be the code after the change (ENG Version) 

REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx
if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
:CompatCheckRunning
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
Powershell -Command "Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName 'Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser' -TaskPath '\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\'" | Find "Ready"
if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "1" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning
:RunGWX
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"



 IF ALL ELSE FAILS

1. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Schedule Tasks
2. Task scheduler library > Microsoft > Windows > Setup >
GWXTriggers , select ‘refreshgwxconfig-B’ and run it.

*NEW INFO* 
A community member commented this and I wanted to put it in the blog so it would be easier to find.

By: pacmanisbackJune 

I had all the same problems as everyone else. Nothing would work. Then I remembered a year or so ago I had disabled and removed Internet Explorer. In desperation I restarted it in windows features, reinstalled IE11, restarted, checked for updates sure enough one of the updates it needs is part of IE (even though the batch file said I had it already before I did this), installed the update, restarted, and there it was the reservation icon.


43 comments:

  1. I get a msg for half a sec:
    "Work has begun...
    UpgEx REG_SZ GREEN"
    and it disappears in a blink
    Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the third option: "Quick method #2"?
      Make sure to comment back if that works!

      Delete
  2. I tried to run as admin, and once it brongs up the first box, press any button to continue i do that and the CMD box disappears, nothing happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try hitting the enter key, if the problem persists delete the file and re-download it. Make sure you unzip the file and put it either on the desktop or in a folder before trying this.

      Delete
  3. It doesn't work for me either. CMD box disappears :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just updated the post adding 2 different methods to try. I can not guarantee any of this will work but I will try my best to help!

      Delete
  4. OK so none of these methods worked. With the 3rd method i could find windows. With the 2nd method command prompt could find the file. And with the 1st one i have the msi file with the kb in it which is required. but when i run it it says not aplicible with your system. Thanks:) PS: I did run command prompt as admin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had this issue on my own machines though I have had this issue on my girlfriends. I am not sure of the cause but as soon as I find out I will update the post!

      Delete
  5. Sorry for the typos i Said Couldn't in the first 2 lines

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tried all three methods, all say completed successfully but still no icon, I have also downloaded the two KBs and tried to install them manually, but they both said already installed.
    I even tried going into task scheduler and ran the GWXconfig task, still no joy.
    Annoyingly on my MacBook Pro I have just installed Win 7 Pro and the icon appeared almost immediately, both running Win 7 Pro 32bit, both genuine, both meet min standards, in fact my main PC, the one without the icon, I have Win 10 preview 10130 installed on an external HDD and that works fine. I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had this issue on my own machines though I have had this issue on my girlfriends. I am not sure of the cause but as soon as I find out I will update the post!

      Delete
  7. Hello TeraPoison,
    After I have tried all the methods (run successfully).. but still the win10 pop up not appearing on my machine after waiting now for 2h. I have all the relevant updates installed and also genuine Windows 8.1 with Bing on my Acer machine. Could you advice on what I could do? Even if I don't get around to have the icon appearing will I be able to get win10 when released?
    Many Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried to contact Microsoft asking if this is a bug of some sort but they have stayed silent so hopefully there will be a fix soon! I have done it on all of my devices and it all worked like a charm, on my girlfriends I have gotten the same results. I updated the script so try using the new one! It has worked for people on some of the forms on the Microsoft Community Forms.

      Delete
    2. I have tried the new script but still no icon... that is becoming very frustrating.. any more suggestions? I think Microsoft should come with a fix for this problem.. this is ridiculous..

      Delete
    3. I would just wait for Microsoft to come out with a fix. There is not much else to do, I tried it on my girlfriends computer but it didn't work. If I come across a fix I will sure let you know!

      Delete
  8. Some people have said and even articles have been written about win 10 being available even to pirated win7 because of the number of pirated 7's in China is this true or is it a come-on to fool some of the people some of the time? Mine is legit but I know a few budget lovers who chose to be pirates (arg!) Also, I've heard about win7 being offered to vista and XP users so that they too can take advantage of the win10 freebie but as yet I haven't really found a download site that would upgrade the vista/xp to 7.. any chatter about that? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Pirated windows 7 users are able to get windows 10 for free that is still not going to make it a true version. Upgrading does not change the genuine state of the license.

      Windows XP was recently (in the past year) dropped my Microsoft, they no longer support it so as a consolation got a free version of windows 7 if you took your laptop, computer, etc. into a Microsoft store. This was about a year ago, since then the offer has been dropped because the offer was only valid for about 3 months. From what I have recently read Windows XP/Vista users have to buy a copy of windows 7, 8, or 8.1 then reserve the copy or just wait for windows 10 to be sold in stores.There will be no direct path to get windows 10 unless you wait for it to be sold in stores. Quoted from govtech.com - "Microsoft says there won’t be a direct upgrade path, which means they’ll either have to buy a new computer, tablet or phone equipped with Windows 10 or purchase a copy and install it fresh." I do not like that they have done this but it is there call and not mine.
      God Bless,
      Tyler

      Delete
    2. Here is a link to Microsoft's website showing you how to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

      Delete
  9. Hi I tried the above method and it works. I got the missing icon on my windows 7 computer but when I click it another windows pops up saying windows 10 on it and its just empty white window and nothing in it. Please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not ran into this issue and I tried to do some research and I could not find anyone having this issue either. I will keep trying to find things on this issue and update you as soon as I find something. I am sorry I am not much help, I have not even heard of this issue. If you fix it please comment back with the solution! God Bless, Tyler.

      Delete
  10. I've tried every method listed here to no success. Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, more than enough hardware, system is up to date. I am completely baffled, the english illiterate technical support at microsoft was no help either, who insisted that the icon was on "the page". XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I cant promise it will work so hopefully Microsoft will have the sense to fix it soon! I am having this issue on my girlfriends laptop as well, I have tried it on all of mine and it worked so I think there are some hidden variables that Microsoft isn't telling us about. My girlfriend and I have the same exact laptop, the only difference is she got hers a week later. Mine worked first try and I still cant get hers to get the icon. I just hope they fix it soon! I am sorry I'm not much help!
      God Bless,
      Tyler

      Delete
  11. SOOOOOOOOOOO i found my problem your laptop may not tell you (Directly) if your running 8.1 RT here is a list. I think its multiple pages hope this helps. Yea I'm sad to Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/view-all#v1h=allpcs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you explain a little more please?

      Delete
  12. I had all the same problems as everyone else. Nothing would work. Then I remembered a year or so ago I had disabled and removed Internet Explorer. In desperation I restarted it in windows features, reinstalled IE11, restarted, checked for updates sure enough one of the updates it needs is part of IE (even though the batch file said I had it already before I did this), installed the update, restarted, and there it was the reservation icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response! This community is dependent on people helping! God Bless, Tyler

      Delete
    2. Also a think to think about, if the system is joined in a Domain enviroment, then try putting the system in a workgroup and then run the ".Bat" file.

      This is because Microsoft blocked this for Volume license purposes.

      Microsoft is now thinking about another way for users to upgrade to Win10.

      Delete
    3. That is something to think about. I hope windows gets it all figured out soon!

      Delete
  13. Its working now for me.. after reinstalling windows 8.1 with bing and reinstalling all the updates. With method 2 of the zip file!! yeahhh now I got the icon after so long time spend on it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad its working! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  14. I have tried every single thing on this page and still dont have the icon. You may say that I must not have a qualified system.....

    i have been running windows 7 on this machine and HAD the icon and did reserve my copy.....i then got a new motherboard, processor, and ram, and did a clean install of windows 7. have done all the updates including the ones required, ran all the scripts and still nothing. any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you have internet explorer completely updated. I still have this issue on one of my machines but on my custom build and main laptop it worked like a charm. I hope Microsoft fixes this. I am sorry I am not much help.

      Delete
    2. i appreciate your reply. I know my copy of windows is eligible because I had the reservation pre-motherboard change. i have tried all options of the script, tried running the associated task in task scheduler. all updates have been applied and the script confirms the special ones are installed. im at a loss. if anyone comes up with any more ideas id be very appreciative.

      Delete
  15. I am having micromax laptab with win 8.1 bing, mine is only 3 weeks old i tried all of the methods. particularly the schedule task method, below the "setup" directory, I got only the GWX directory, but not the GWX triggers directory. I dont know why. please help me out with this. I am messing up with this issue for 4 days since. please reply in asap. thanks in advance:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I cant promise it will work so hopefully Microsoft will have the sense to fix it soon! I am having this issue on my girlfriends laptop as well, I have tried it on all of mine and it worked so I think there are some hidden variables that Microsoft isn't telling us about. My girlfriend and I have the same exact laptop, the only difference is she got hers a week later. Mine worked first try and I still cant get hers to get the icon. I just hope they fix it soon! I am sorry I'm not much help!
      God Bless,
      Tyler

      Delete
    2. Like I said, I cant promise it will work so hopefully Microsoft will have the sense to fix it soon! I am having this issue on my girlfriends laptop as well, I have tried it on all of mine and it worked so I think there are some hidden variables that Microsoft isn't telling us about. My girlfriend and I have the same exact laptop, the only difference is she got hers a week later. Mine worked first try and I still cant get hers to get the icon. I just hope they fix it soon! I am sorry I'm not much help!
      God Bless,
      Tyler

      Delete
    3. But anyway, thanks for your reply man

      Delete
  16. This method worked for me:

    1. Open the Control Panel, choose Administrative Tools, and then fire up the Task Scheduler.
    2. Expand Task Scheduler Library, then Microsoft, then Windows, and finally scroll down to expand Setup.
    3. Click the folder GWXTriggers and on the far right hit Run.

    Again, this will only work if you’re running a legitimate copy of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1, have KB3035583 installed, and have all the latest updates.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks a lot, Method 2 with the modified script worked for me.

    Must admit I'm not impressed with the faffing about by Microsoft on this one.

    How hard would it be for them to include this as a actual download for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH MY GOSH I NEED HELP I HAD THE ICON BUT WHEN I RAN MSCONFIG CHANGED PROCESSORS TO 2 AND ENABLED os boot information and boot log restarted and the icon poof gone can't see it and i have alllllllllllllllll nolifaccationss on in taskbar i'm so mad at myself i need help asap

    ReplyDelete
  19. Also i wan't to say that when i go to enable all icons i see GWX get windows 10 the same icon as the battery icon so maybe that is why i need help

    ReplyDelete